Planning on driving abroad? From 31st December 2020 you may need a Green Card…

If you are planning on travelling in Europe after the 31st December 2020, make sure you have the right driving documents in place before you go. GOV.UK is now recommending that ALL drivers who need to drive abroad after this date will need a Green Card and GB sticker.

What is the Green Card and why do I need it?
The Green Card is an internationally accepted document that proves that you have valid insurance to drive your car abroad. If it is determined that a Green Card is required for European travel following Brexit, it will be illegal for UK motorists to drive in Europe without it; whether travelling for business or pleasure.

I live in Northern Ireland and travel to the Republic of Ireland. Do I need a Green Card?
Yes, Northern Irish motorists will still need a Green Card to drive over the border.

Where can I drive with it?
The Green Card system currently comprises 47 countries. This includes all European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries, Switzerland, Russia and other members in the Middle East and surrounding the Mediterranean Sea.

How do I apply for a Green Card?
Responsibility of issuing Green Cards lies with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), who have given delegated permission to insurers. This means that, if you are planning to drive in the EU after 31 December, you will need to contact your insurer directly.

Are Green Cards free?
The Department of Transport issued a statement in September 2019 that Green Card issuance would be free. However, individual insurers may charge a small administration fee. Check with your insurer about this.

How quickly will the process take?
No matter how the logistics of Brexit are negotiated, the MIB and all insurers will no doubt be very busy. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) suggested motorists should ideally apply one month prior to travelling, so it’s worth planning ahead to avoid disappointment or disruption.

What if I have an accident whilst driving in the EU?
In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK motorists suffering a road traffic accident may have to make a claim with the foreign insurer directly. In uninsured and ‘hit and run’ cases, the MIB or equivalent would ordinarily pay compensation costs. However, this may not be the case and so access to compensation claims could vary from country to country.

Can I drive a trailer?
Yes, but you must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before you can drive to some countries in Europe including France, Greece and Belgium. You can access the full list here.

If I have more than one vehicle, do I need more than one Green Card?
For individuals with several trailers and vehicles, you will require more than one Green Card. For example, if you drive a caravan and tow car, these will each need seperate Green Cards. To find out more, speak with your insurer who will explain how many you require.

Will I definitely need a Green Card to drive in Europe?
The official Government guidance states that ‘if you are taking your own vehicle, you might also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance and a GB sticker.’ If you’re unsure, it’s worth contacting your insurer to find out exactly what you need.

Whether you are a haulage or courier business operating in and out of Europe or planning on a small trip to France with your family, motor insurance is set to change. Stay on top of the game by calling our trusted team. Simply call us on: 01908 640 646 or email us at: to find out more.

Why choose us?